What this policy covers
Your privacy is important to us, and so is being clear and open about how we collect, use, and share information about you. Due to recent changes in law, as of May 25th, 2018, your consent to this policy is necessary for us to process your application(s). The information below does not represent new processes; rather, it is a clearer and more plainly stated presentation of how we handle and share your data.
This document is intended to help you understand:
- What information we collect about you
- How we share (or don’t share) information we collect
- How we store and keep secure any information we collect
- How you can access and control your information
- Other important privacy information
- What to do if you have questions about this policy
What information we collect about you
While using our service, we may ask you to provide us with personally identifiable information as part of your account with us, and as part of any application to the institution(s) of your choice. These include:
- Name (yours, your parents’/guardians’, and an emergency contact)
- Date of Birth (yours)
- Social Security Number/ITIN (yours)
- Email address (yours, your parents’/guardians’, and an emergency contact)
- Phone numbers (yours, your parents’/guardians’, and an emergency contact)
- Mailing addresses (yours, your parents’/guardians’, and an emergency contact)
- Credit card information if you choose to pay an application fee within our site (card number, billing name and address)
Other application data
We collect all other data included in the answers you give to questions on your application(s).
Our Web servers generate temporary logs that contain the following information:
- Internet address of computer being used
- Web pages requested
- Referring Web page
- Browser used
- Date and Time
Cookies are small pieces of data stored by the Web browser. Cookies are used to remember information about preferences and pages you have visited. We use Session Cookies to operate our service, and we use Security Cookies for security purposes. ApplyTexas does not share cookie information with external third parties, nor with the college or university to which you are applying.
How we share (or don’t share) information we collect
Texas high schools
We display a small set of personal data in the ApplyTexas Counselor Suite for use by your high school counselor (if your high school is in Texas, and if your application is a freshman 4-year or 2-year application). In some instances we send some of this data through Amazon Web Services via a secure portal with closely managed authorizations. The data is used by high school counselors to track application progress and FAFSA submissions.
- Your name, date of birth, email address, phone number, and high school graduation date
- Certain data concerning any FAFSA application, including the date you submitted that application, the date it was processed, and whether it was selected for verification by the federal government (we receive this information from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board). Other data you input into the FAFSA application is not stored, received, or relayed by ApplyTexas
- Certain data about your applications in ApplyTexas, including the institution to which you’re applying, which semester, and whether you have saved or submitted them. If you have saved but not yet submitted an application, we display how far you have progressed in the application (page number)
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
We send a subset of your application data (including some of the personal data listed above) to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board data warehouse. Persons authorized by the THECB access the data for research purposes.
We show all saved and submitted application data to the administrators at the college/university that you choose (via our Administrative Site, which is only accessible to authorized administrators from that school).
Colleges and universities
We store and send, to the college/university of your choice, your personal data, and all other data included in the answers you give to questions on the application. Application data are sent from the University of Texas at Austin, via secure FTP, to the National Student Clearinghouse for distribution to colleges and universities to allow processing of your application. Under Texas law, information collected about you through this application may be held by any institution of higher education to which you apply.
We also send the following data to aid in processing your application:
- An application ID that is generated by our site
- Texas Education Agency ID numbers for the schools you have attended
- The application type you chose (2-year, freshman, transfer, grad, etc.)
If you have the opportunity to request a transcript from within ApplyTexas (2-year and 4-year freshman applications to participating high schools and colleges/universities), we will send encrypted identifying data to the Texas Education Agency for processing this request via an immediate secure web services call.
Payment of fees
If your application has a fee and you pay for it within ApplyTexas using a credit card, we will send encrypted identifying data to PayPal for processing this request via an immediate secure web services call. We send credit card number, and billing name and address. We do not store the full credit card number on our files. PayPal will deliver the funds to the institution to which you are applying. We send the last four digits of the credit card, along with the billing name and address, to the institutions to help in processing your application.
For address verification purposes, we will send your mailing address to SmartyStreets for deliverability verification via an immediate secure web services call. They will not store your address on their files; they simply check to see that the address exists.
How we store and keep secure any information we collect
Although no computer system is 100% secure, the administrators of ApplyTexas have deployed extensive security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of the information under their control. Information collected in ApplyTexas is stored on files located at the University of Texas at Austin, and with Amazon Web Services. The UT Information Security Office regularly scans our web servers, data on the files is very closely managed, and certified independent security specialists regularly audit our security measures and respective systems for vulnerabilities. We are also regularly scanned for PCI compliance. All data is encrypted while being sent from our files to any and all outside entities. All data stored on our files at UT Austin fall under the UT ISO data security policy.
How you can access and control your information
- Your consent to this policy gives ApplyTexas permission to store and share your data as explained in this document
- You are entitled to receive and review your information
- You are entitled to correct, or to request us to correct, any incorrect information held by ApplyTexas. You must contact the college or university if the data is on an application that has been submitted
- You have the right to request to have your personally identifiable data removed from our database. Requests will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
Other important privacy information
Your information will not be sold for commercial purposes.
The information that is collected about you will be retained and maintained as required by Texas records retention laws (Section 441.180 et seq. of the Texas Government Code) and rules.
ApplyTexas does not actively share personal information gathered from our web servers. However, because www.applytexas.org is administered by a state agency, some information collected from the ApplyTexas web site may be subject to the Texas Public Information Act. This means that in some cases we may be compelled by law to release information gathered from our web servers. Under the guidelines of the GDPR, we are a data processor as well as a data controller. Data gathered by ApplyTexas services are stored at the University of Texas at Austin, and are, by contract, owned by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
If you have questions about this privacy statement or you believe that your personal information has been released without your consent send an e-mail to the ApplyTexas Help Desk.